Thursday, December 10, 2009

Pass the chutney please

Have you ever cooked for someone, slaved for hours and hours in the kitchen, put your heart and soul into making something special, only to have the person you cooked for, add in their own concoction and then it totally not taste what you meant for them to taste? Aaarrrggghhh, that would be so annoying.

Here's the thing though - I'm the number one guilty party of doing this myself.

I got to a restaurant or someone's house and no matter what I'm about to eat, as soon as it comes to the table, I reach for the peppers or chutney or salt or any other spice in reach. I just know before I even try it that I will need to add my own flavors. I grew up eating spicy food with lots and lots of flavor. If I eat spaghetti, there is NO way I'm eating it the way its meant to be eaten. That would be too bland and without atleast some spice, what's the point? Pass me the peppers, the tabasco, the chutney. Anything you can find. Please.

This never bothered me until it happened to me when I cooked for someone and they didn't even try the dish before they topped it off with their own crap. I could surely understand even though I didn't like it. And it doesn't change the way I do things either, but atleast I do think about it...for a second, before I say "Pass the chutney please?

2 comments: