Ever since I've been old enough to make my own decisions, I think I've made some pretty good ones and perhaps some not so pretty. I'm trying to keep this blog positive, so until I feel like bitchin about something, I'm just going to focus on the good stuff. My relationships are at the top of the list. With family, you don't get a choice. You're born into a family of parents, siblings, Uncles, Aunts, cousins, but friendships and choosing significant others, those are choices we make. And I've already mentioned on another blog what a great choice I made with the person I will spend the rest of my life with.
Just like choosing who to marry, I couldn't have made better choices in my friendships either. While in elementary school, I only had a couple of friends I was really close with. And when you're a kid, your best friend is the one who sits next to you in class, the one who shares her eraser with you, the one who hangs out with you just for fun. When you get older your needs are a bit different. I still want my best friend to share her eraser with me, but I also need a shoulder to lean on, and someone to listen to me when I'm having a bad day, and most of all I want this person to accept me for who I am and also to make me a better person without even trying. And for me to offer all this in return. Take my friend Alka. She and I have been best friends since our late teens. When we first met, it's funny now, but we didn't exactly hit it off. We were so different from one another. However, as we spent more time together, we realized we weren't that different from each other. Atleast not in the ways that mattered. We've been through some great times and some not so great times. But each time was important in where we are now. Without this relationship, life would've been much more difficult, and I might have become more nuts than I already am.
Anyways, having that friendship with her is one of the best choices I ever made. I have many other friends that I've kept in touch with over the years. Some I see once in a great while and some I see all the time. People move in different directions as life goes on and you don't always get to play with your friends in the playground like you used to. So you make the best of the times when you do get to play. All in all, I've made some good decisions to bring happiness into my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment