Friday, May 21, 2010

Thank Goodness

I type the words "mother-in-law" in google.com and pretty much all I see are links for mother-in-law (MIL) jokes, horrible experiences between wives and their MILs, stories of evil MILs, and mostly people just bitching about their husband's mothers. I was trying to find someone who could share something positive and a good experience. Because then atleast I could relate.

Seems I am one of the lucky few to actually like my mother-in-law. Infact so far, we have a great relationship. Even though things didn't exactly start off on the right foot, since the very day my husband and I got married last year, I couldn't ask for anything more from both my mother and father-in-law. I'll save the father-in-law discussion for another time. Right now, I'd like to focus on MILs, mostly mine.

I realize all of a sudden you have a new family member and you’re supposed to try and get along with them. And it’s easy to judge someone when you don’t know them and don’t take the time. I don't know my mother-in-law that well yet, we've only started talking less than a year ago. She lives half way across the world so I don't see her much, but thanks to advances in technology, there are many ways to reach out to her. We talk on the phone regularly and even email occasionally. We keep each other apprised of things that are happening in our lives, we exchange recipes, she tells me cute lil' stories about my husband when he was a kid. She's trying to relate to me and is doing her part. I wish she lived closer, or atleast in the same country so I could see her more often and get to know the lady who brought the love of my life into this world. If nothing else, she's awesome just for that. As I get to know her more, I see qualities in her that amaze me because I still do remember the first time we met and how things started off. She is actually quite goofy, very down to earth, easy going, and makes me feel comfortable when we talk. With time, everything usually gets easier, but everything does not always get better. It has for me. There is work involved in every relationship. As her daughter-in-law, I will do my best to do my part. And I look forward to spending more time with her and continue the path we're on.

I wish to share my experience with others because I feel it’s needed. Its too bad that so many people are missing out on something that brings so much joy. One even says the word mother-in-law and some of the words that come to people's minds are words I care not to share here. But for me, it’s nothing like that. I have only words of kindness. I don't know what happened or why me? But thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment